Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I have recently started a new book called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is the first in a trilogy and I must say I'm quite impressed. I thought this was going to be one of those books that follows the common pattern and is really predictable. My first three guesses about what would happen were wrong and I haven't made any up since then. I love the spontaneousness that Suzanne Collins writes with. I love the suspense and the plot. I think the characters are well thought out but a little emotionless and whiney. I still love the book so far though. It really makes you feel how it must have felt to be starving and be in despair. My favorite character is Peeve. He seems like a generous boy who really has a big heart and I'm interested to know if he dies in The Hunger Games or not.
I'm not sure how the sequels will do because I feel like even now that a chain off would be boring or repetitive. Most people have told me that the second and third are worse than the first, and Katniss turns into a very whiney person. Most books have at least one character you really don't like. Harry Potter has Draco Malfoy, Percy Jackson has Clarissa, even Moby Dick has Moby Dick. Very rarely is the annoying or mean person the main character, only in The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid have I seen something like this before. I'm sure it happens but rarely. I really recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fantasy/action/suspense book.

1 comment:

  1. What did you predict that didn't happen? I'm curious.
    Wow, I didn't find Katniss whiny in Catching Fire at all. I thought the circumstances that she finds herself in are impossible and that she makes unorthodox decisions, but then she made those in the first book as well. I think Collins is a very visual writer, and my biggest issues with the books have to do with the levels of violence in the books. Creeped me out a bit.

    Don't give up on the series.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.