Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Hunger Pains by Harvard Lampoon

This book surprised me. I had heard so much about it and it sounded really good. A few pages in and I was laughing. About twenty pages in and I stared to get bored with the same jokes just repeated at random times. I would say I was quite disappointed considering I was expecting a hilarious parody, I seemed to start reading a funny joke book. Except in the arsenal of funny jokes there are about four. Then they just get repeated and quickly die out into a nuisance. Like someone farting in silence, humorous the first time but after a while it just gets annoying.
The characters are the same with a twist of comedic stupidity. The plot is practically identical, but some humorous changes in small events. If you've read the real book first you will realize the parts that are the same and the parts that are changed a small amount. Really, it's truly just a parody, but I'm not so sure how it's going to turn out the way it's going.
My dislike for this book might also come for my obsession with the real thing, The Hunger Games. I can't shake the feeling that it's mocking the real book, which bugs me because I found it so powerful. I'm not really sure I should recommend it, but certainly give it a try. I don't want to say don't read it because everyone has a different view with things but I'm not even sixty pages in yet but I'm already pretty bored. It's definitely not one of the best books that I have ever read.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.