Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi is a graphic novel. It's about a girl who loses her dad in a car accident and her, her mom and her brother all have to move to "the middle of nowhere" because they can't afford their home anymore. When they get out there it turns out that it's the house where her great grandfather went missing. She discovers his library and gets a magical amulet. It helps them when they are plunged into an adventure in a fantasy world. It was a good book and I would recommend it but in about forty-five minuets I was almost done so it's more of a relaxation book than a sit down and read for hours and only be half way done kind of book. It's a little boring at times, but it certainly kept me wanting to know what would happen next. Don't read this if you don't like comics because it's got a lot more pictures than writing.
Since that book was so short half of this is going to be about Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie. I really like this book in the same way that I liked When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. It uses so much imagination to come up with a book that is based around a sea that if drunken lets you speak stories. I also think the characters are amazing and really good, I feel like I can connect with them. I think it's ironic that I often fall asleep reading it and it's set somewhere like a dream world. Salman Rushdie did a great job with the descriptive language and I get very into this book and find it hard to put it down. I recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a quick read, but one that will make you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.