Today my blog post is not just about one book, but about two. I have already done one on Mockingjay, but I just recently finished it and I think it's important to follow up on. At the same time I also just finished Thirteen Reasons Why, which is probably one of the most powerful/depressing books I have ever read. I'll start with Mockingjay because that just seems to make the most sense. Mockingjay as I said before was a fabulous book and a great ending to a phenomenal trilogy. I thought it was going to have a happy, and somewhat boring, ending but I was partially delighted and partially upset to find out that's not really how it ends at all. This is one of those books, where if all your looking for is some upbeat, power to em' kind of novel, don't read it. In my opinion, though the ending was great and I was very shocked, it didn't really end in a great way. It really depends on how you look at it though because I suppose "mission accomplished" but how far would you go to succeed? Even after the bombshell rockets the core of the earth, there is one heck of an aftershock. It surprised me greatly to know that who I thought Katniss was, turned out to be a different person entirely. The more I think about it the more my opinion changes. I can absolutely imagine Katniss making the decisions she makes, but they're unbelievable. Don't let this Book Review throw you off. These books are amazing, breathtaking even. I very much hope everyone reads them regardless of what books you think you like these have everything. A little bit of comedy, some romance, a lot of action and if the suspense and drama don't get you choked up and scared witless I don't know what will. I sincerely recommend this book to everyone, of course read the first two before hand but those I have to say are no less stunning.
On to Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, this book actually changed me a little bit inside. It's is really intense and depressing in a lot of ways, so I can't tell everyone to read it, but if you have any interest for something suspenseful and dramatic this is a great book. All the characters come alive, no pun intended, and I can picture their attitudes through every moment. Basically in a nut shell this book is about a girl who commits suicide and leaves 13 tapes counting their backs and sends them to thirteen people. According to her each one had a part in her sad story and the reason why she committed suicide. Hence the name Thirteen Reasons Why. It's not a story I can really do justice by explaining and I have to recommend it because it made me a better person in some ways. Maybe not drastically but definitely changed the way I look at some situations. I recommend this book for its very, very descriptive images, unbelievable characters and plot twists. I can't say this book is worse in any way than Mockingjay, but it's certainly different in a lot. I recommend this to everyone except the faint of heart.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteOOMG OMG OMG! I read the blurb of 13 reasons why and was bawling by the end of it so I decided to hold of on reading it! Now I'm going to buck up and read it! I really enjoyed your blog on Mockingjay because I read it and could totally relate to it! Do you remember the part in the book when they are hiding in that fur place, I could just imagine it! HAHAHA byeee! Thanks for letting me comment!
xoxoxoxo,
Leigh